Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Meet My Perfect Priest

Perhapse you are visiting Pastor With Coffee for the first time this week because you saw the web address on the bottom of the sermon outline Easter Sunday. If you are here for the first time let me say welcome and I hope you will click by and say hello often. I hope that through this blog I can inspire and inform you on a more daily basis. (Also check out First Assembly of God online.) I often post the outline for the Sunday Sermon and then through the week make additions and expansions. I only get so much time with you on Sunday, but sermon study time usually produces more good stuff than can be shared in 35 to 40 minutes of sermon.

As a prtestant pastor one of the funniest things is how often I am called things like "Father" and "Priest." I think a lot o people refer to me that way out of habbit more than anything. I have been making friends with a catholic Priest and it has been interesting to see how many church situations we find ourselves in that are so similar. I have know a lot of Pastors and Priests, but I have yet to find one as perfect at our Great High Priest, who is the author and finisher of our faith. Jesus is so great, it is fun to just talk about how good he is.

Hebrews 8:1-2
1The point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, 2and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by man.

1 Timothy 2:5
5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
My Priest is:

My Perfect Priest is:
My Confessor
(7:25, 27)
25Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
27Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.
My Confidant (Heb 8:11-12)
11 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
My Covenant Maker (Heb. 7:22 ;8:6)
22Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.
6But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.
My Intercessor (Heb 7:25)
25Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
My Constant Priest (Heb. 7:21)
21but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him: “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: ‘You are a priest forever.’
My Complete Priest (Heb. 7:25, 26; 9:28)
25Therefore he is able to save completely
26Such a high priest meets our need.
28so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.
My Choice Priest (Heb 8:6)
6But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises.
My Conscience Cleanser (Heb 9:14)
14How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
My Conquering King (Heb. 7:1)
1This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him. (Jesus is our Priest and King!)

Talk to Jesus today! We are all imperfect and need forgiveness. Stop rejecting God’s blessings, when you can have Jesus as your personal priest!

No comments: