Monday, June 25, 2007

A Lesson Learned

This is from a life-long friend. I thought it made a great devotion!

"I helped my dad take a 200 year old log cabin down a couple of years ago near Fulton. It was on a french trading route a very long time ago, most likely 200 years ago. So, we took it down and have been rebuilding it on his land. So, I have been helping him with that and some other construction projects every now and then.

Two weekends ago I helped him on a Saturday morning, and he asked me if I needed to be paid and I said "no, that's OK, I am picking up some eggs, vegetables, etc from him so that would be enough " So, I went along and then we found ourselves running short on cash.

Today I worked for my dad helping him install a wood plank, tongue &groove floor, in the log cabin he is building on his land. We spent about 7 hours moving boards, sanding, and installing part of the flooring. He did not exactly ask me today if I wanted to get paid, he simply said here is your pay for today and two weeks ago. So, we now have money. I did not need to mention to him that we were short on cash, I think they figured that out already from when I asked if he had some work I could help with.

So, what did I learn??? I learned that if my father offers to pay me I should accept. It is a free gift from my father, that I really did not need to do any work to receive. I could have simply asked. Some of what caught my attention was that my dad is a carpenter, and would help me if all I did was ask with no need to work for it.

Reminded me in some ways of what the Bible says about our Heavenly Father. We do not need to work to receive gifts from God. We may ask freely. Now, my dad does not just give to me every time I ask. There are times that he knows it would be better for me to NOT receive a free gift. Although, it really is a gift because he is teaching me something important about being responsible and thinking about how my decisions will affect my life and those around me.

Does that make sense? I thought it did, maybe explained a little differently would be better. Oh Well."

That is a great experience with a dad, and a great perspective on God's grace to us. Thanks for letting me post your experience.

No comments: