Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Not So Easy Road

When we feel we have direction from God we often assume that the road he has given us will be easy. Often it just the opposite. Here are two examples from the Bible.

First, in Genesis 26 God tells Isaac to go to Gerar to escape a famine in his region. While there, he encounters disputes (26:20) and opposition (26:21) and finally finds a place of rest (26:22). Second, in Genesis 32 God directs Jacob back to the region where his brother has been living. Esau had wanted to kill Jacob! God's direction was not easy for Jacob to follow.

Not all of God's paths are easy, but his paths are correct. I am excited about the direction the Lord is taking me, but I know that there will be difficult times on the way to his goals. Pastor Gary Brothers from Cape Girardeau, Missouri taught me a new saying a few months ago, "new levels, new devils." With every new accomplishment in God's plan new difficulties arise.

I think people long for the good old days because there are no new devils in the land of, "Good Old days." There are no new dividends either. There is a sense of inflation in the spiritual economy of my life. Yesterday's spiritual earnings will not buy the loaf of bread and gallon of milk I need today!

When God gives you a new direction and a fresh vision be excited. Then beware! With new levels, come new devils. Don't be afraid of them, just be ready for them. Remember, "In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us" (Rom. 8:37).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Pastor. I really needed that encouragement for what I am going through right now. Thanks.

Pastor With Coffee said...

Your welcome