Friday, October 12, 2007

Apple Butter day

Today Mary Ann, who works at the nursing home called me and asked if I would come down and visit while they are cooking Apple Butter today. I shot down right away. I always go to the nursing home for church services on the 4th and 5th sundays of every month. I feel like the chaplain there now. My kids like to sing in the services and it is a lot of fun.


They have been making Apple Butter every year for 40 years! They showed me picturs of ladies peeling apples in 1970. If those ladies were 80 in the pictures, then they were born in 1890!

It was really funny when a staff member was unsure what to do next in the process. One of the residents would pipe up and shout our the directions. As I was stirring the pot one elderly lady nearby said, "You know what we need now, a keg of beer!" A lady across the large circle of people watching shouted out, "A jug of whisky would be better!" Those comments got a few dirty looks from some prohibitionists and a few chuckles as well. Then we discussed what the Apple Butter would taste like if a liquor was added. The residents joked with me, "Pastor, you might get in trouble if you go back to the church today with whiskey on your breath!"

Don't worry, there was not any liquor at the nursing home, and obviously I wouldn't drink any! The residents there have many troubles and things that could depress them, but they also have a great sense of humor and beautiful smiles.

No comments: