Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Post Modern Son

Last night we were roasting marsh mellows in the back yard around a small fire with our twin boys (4.5 yrs.) and our little girl (2.5 yrs). I told Gabe who is 4.5 years old that he could not have a second smore (sp.?) because we were out of chocolate (really it was because it was about time for bed). So he said, "Well, I'll just have a marsh mellow on gram crackers." I said, "No, each of us only get to eat one tonight, it is getting late and that is too much sugar." Then he said, "I know that it is too much sugar. But, I can have another marsh mellow anyway."

This is the dilemma of our day. Really it has been the dilemma of the ages. Truth is today considered by many to be relative. We used to assume that if there were two opposing truths that one had to be false. Now we assume that to absolutely opposing truths are both equally valid and true. We don't tolerate opposing views, even though we may disagree. We tolerate opposing views by saying they are both true.

My son completely agreed with my argument that it was too much sugar, he did not try to argue with me. He simply said that his viewpoint was, though totally opposite, equally true. I am proud of his ability to argue and think on his feet. He is quite interesting that way, but also frustrating. Its like living with a lawyer who is trained to argue (no offense to lawyers).

I believe in a holy God. I don't always understand him perfectly, but he is perfect. I trust in his perfection even when I am confused. If there is a perfect God, then there is an absolute truth to every matter. He ultimately knows the truth. I believe that when we study hard and pray hard we will find the truth too. It is never a job for the self-righteous or the egotist, but that does not mean that the job should be abandoned either!

No comments: