Monday, February 11, 2008

Worship Conference Reflection #2

A man teaching one of the sessions said two things that really stuck in my mind that I thought were important.

First, the ultimate goal of worship is "To encounter God in a way that glorifies him and changes us." (Dave Williamson).

Second, is a quote from Jack Hayford. "The most important choir is the congregation." This totally resounds in my heart. I hate going to a church where the choir "performs" a number in the service, or has a special "performance" for Easter or Christmas. The goal of a choir is not to perform, but to inspire and include people in worship. Most choirs in my mind are one of two things. First, a way to impress visitors and second, an easy way to involve people in an innocuous (harmless, safe, mild, bland) way.

No comments: