Monday, March 31, 2008

Weekend Rewind

Sunday was really great in several ways. I want to just focus on two things.

First, after the second service I was talking to one of our ladies and she said, "Some of those worship songs really got me this morning." I wanted her to explain, and she said, "It was like the words of the songs were just for me." I was really excited.

I am praying more and more that God will do the things that I and others in our church can never do. We want people to encounter God at church, not just experience a nice well prepared church service. In the second service we spent a lot of extra time on worship and prayer. It was a spontaneous thing that really blessed several people.

Second, we had an absolutely wonderful H2O baptism service! There were over 70 people present and 13 people were baptized. I was so proud of so many of our people. There were a lot of friends who came and a lot of family. That makes everything a lot more fun! It is also a great way to show your friends your faith.

I think that water baptism is so amazing because it is so weird. I mean really, why should we let someone dunk us under water? I come from (grew up in) a more tame religious background where babies are sprinkled. That is not weird. Baptism is bold! Baptism is getting out of your comfortable everyday routine to follow Jesus in something that is different. That is why I like baptism and I think that God intends for it to be just a little strange. Let's not let anything that Jesus ordered us to do to become route or routine. Let's keep following Jesus fresh, challenging and exciting.

No comments: