Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An Extra message


I have an entire extra sermon as a result of study for the Powerful Parenting Series. I liked it so much, and realizing some of these truths for myself, really moved me in my study. Never before have I found myself so close to tears, so often as in preparing for a series of messages.

“Your Kids Need Love” or “The Love Factor”

The foundation for good parenting is having and showing unconditional love for each child.
We all have love for our children. Having love for our children is not hard.
The key is in showing that love to our children!

Showing love requires us to overcome some barriers that we have been taught through some lies of our culture.
Barrier 1 – Too much love.
Barrier 2 – Men don’t get mushy.
Barrier 3 – Kids grow out of the need.
Barrier 4 – My kids will reject me.
Barrier 5 – Girls need more affection than boys.

Understanding A Mother’s Love
A mother's love is an unconditional nurturing love.
A mother’s love nurtures and shows children the unconditional love of God.

Understanding A Father’s Love
An unwavering, encouraging love.
A Father’s love encourages and shows the child that they have the innate qualities that are needed to become a good man or woman as they grow older. A Father’s love is needed to instill a strong sense of confidence and feeling that the child has what it takes to become what they are intended to become. Lacking a father’s love can result in identity crisis of various kinds. (See the book: Bringing up Boys by James Dobson.)

Understanding A Step-Parent’s Love
An unexpected, adoptive love.
Our culture has created a stereo-type of the step parent.
In the fairy tales the step mother is the opposite of what a real mother should be, but that is not the way things have to be. There are stresses that pull any step-parent toward their own children to the detriment of their step-children. Those stresses can be overcome. The key element to overcoming the barriers that a step-parent faces, is to understand the adoptive nature of God’s love for his children. The Bible says, that we are adopted into God’s family. We have been grafted in and now are considered full heirs of the Father.

Understanding God’s Love
An unmerited, eternal love.
Finally, the primary way to have the right kind of love in your home is to make your home a place where:
1. God’s love sets the definition of love.
Real love does not say, “I will let you do whatever you want.” Real love says, “I will help you do the best!”
2. God’s love sets the demonstration of love.
Real love does not just discipline, but also praises for good.
Real love is demonstrated in a holy way, not in evil or sinful ways.
3. God’s love sets the duration of love.
God’s love is everlasting.
God’s love is not limited in time or by time. Kid’s spell love, “TIME.”

I know that I don't have the time to preach this message on a Sunday, but it is well worth thinking about. Don't hesitate to send a link to this post to your friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did a copy and paste into to Word so that I could print it out. That had a profound effect on me today. Your sermons are really a light at the end of a long and dark tunnel and help keep me on the right path.

Pastor With Coffee said...

Thanks, and I have new for you about the lyrics that you were asking about in your e-mail.