Thursday, October 23, 2008

Church History

I was thinking this morning about our congregation. We are constantly looking forward because we are so passionate about growing and reaching the lost. We often look forward progressively so passionately that we forget about our past.

To fix this I want to start a project. I want to compile an accurate history of our church. I will find all the documents that are official. I know that I have one that is the written agreement between Rev. Pettet and the seller of the property to buy our 1.25 acres for $3,500 back in 1965. I will get stuff like that and some other things that pertain to the Assemblies of God in Washington prior to our church plant in 1965-66.

Most of you don't know it, but an AG church was attempted in the 1930's and 1950's also. neither were able to sustain themselves. One pastor was ridden out of town on a rail!

Here is where your part comes in. I need personal stories. If you or a friend were saved at First AG I want your testimony. Especially the testimonies of people who predate me as the Pastor!!! Please find a way to summarize your testimony in a one page document, 12 pt. font and one inch margins. I am very serious about this! We need to make sure that the youth of our church know the history of the church and the ways in which God has moved in our church in the past. We need to review the miracles of God and believe God to renew them in our day!

Please talk about this. Let's get a buzz going on this one. I want to include it in our next photo directory that we are going to update in the next few months with the help of Patt Harr. We may even create a small book on our Church's history that would be a stand alone volume.

Habakkuk 3:2
"LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy."

Even if the rest of the Unites States of America rejects the Bible and the truth of the gospel, we can pray that in God's wrath he remembers mercy for us his people and we can and will see the miracles of God.

No comments: