Monday, November 24, 2008

How God Provides

Friday morning I was deer hunting. I had already shot two deer and so I purchased two extra doe tags for the rest of the week. I was sitting in the stand at 7:20 when two female deer came into view. I was able to shoot them both, filling all my tags. Since I knew they were down and all my tags were used, thee was no need to be quiet. At 7:26 I called the house and left Stephanie a message that I had just shot two deer and that I was going to climb down and get them.

Stephanie called me back a little later and explained an amazing story to me. She and the kids had gone to the donut shop as usual on Friday morning. We always arrive there just before 7:00 a.m. and then leave at 7:25 for school. At the shop she looked up at the clock and it showed 7:10 a.m. which made her think about me hunting. She said, "Oh, boys we forgot to pray for daddy to get a deer. We need to pray right now." Gabe said, "Mom, we need to pray that dad gets two deer." So, mom had Gabe lead in prayer at 7:15 a.m. that dad would get two deer, not just one. All our friends who usually visit with us each Friday at the donut shop were present. I can't wait to tell them this testimony!

God is so good. He hears and answers the simplest prayers. It is not coincidence that I shot two deer just ten minutes after Gabe had prayed that his dad would shoot two deer. Here are a few thoughts. First, we need to pray about all kinds of things. Even the fun things in our lives. Second, we need to pray specifically so that God gets the glory and we receive what we need. Third, we need to believe as simply as a 6 year old boy who has no reason to think that God will not do exactly what he has promised, and we have asked. Fourth, when God answers like this we need to tell everybody. Give God the glory.

It was a great week of hunting and meat processing. I have three deer in the freezer and I gave one to my dad and brother to split and it too is in the freezer. I am not a trophy or antler hunter, I hunt for meat and so this year was great because I got doe (female deer) meat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told Garrett about this and that night he started praying that I would get a blue truck with green stripes. I'm not sure how that would look but whatever.

Pastor With Coffee said...

Sounds like a fun truck.