Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Denial

This morning I read the story of Peter denying Jesus the night before the crucifixion. For the first time it really hit me that Peter is no different from the rest of us when it comes to denying Christ. How many times have we made some bold statement of commitment on Sunday morning following the pastor's message (or in the Pastor’s message) only to deny it by Monday morning? We are as likely to deny Christ between Sunday and Monday as Peter was between Thursday and Friday.

Here is the big difference. We are in denial about our denial. Peter immediately recognized his failure and wept over his backpedaling. For us, we live in a culture of making commitments to God on one day and failing the next. Our habit is to fail. Our habit is denial of Christ. But, we deny that we have made any denial worthy of weeping or real sorrow. Ouch!

Jesus restored Peter, but I am not to that part in my reading yet so I guess I will just leave this entry like it is for now. "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."

No comments: