Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend Rewind

Sunday was a very good day, but it came with some challenges.

First, I really struggled with what to preach. I can come up with about three or four sermons per week when I am not in a series to guide my thinking. Thus, I approach Sunday with some confusion. Here is the deal, if you are in the Word every day and reading through the Bible once a year, you will always have more in you than you have time to preach or blog. Many sermons are good as far as material but not for that particular week. Many other things I learn in Scripture are for me and not for the church. So, I have to pray to make the way clear as to what goes into a service and what should be left out till latter.

Second, in the first service a young man was really moved at communion time and wanted to know that he was saved. It was a bit confusing at the time because he was weeping so deeply and we did not know what was wrong. As the Bible says, Godly sorrow bring repentance. What a joy for Pastor John, Sandy Seals, and me to pray with him.

Third, in the second service the congregation out sang the sound system again. The problem is that we were trying to teach a new version of an old chorus. Same words, different melody. Since the group out sang the instruments it did not go so well. I am just glad that we have so many people singing so boldly to Jesus at church!

Fourth, we actually started second service on time, but I had the wrong bulletin for announcements and I think I lost the few minutes I gained. It was actually quite funny. It proves that the pastor is clearly not perfect, still trying.

One of the most fierce attacks of the Civil War was Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. 12,000 brave southern soldiers marched across a roughly 3/4 mile field to attack the Union line at Cemetery ridged. The Union troops held their ground and in so doing, won the war. By standing firm under attack, the Union army won the war. Last summer Stephanie and I visited the site. We stood at the, "High Water Mark." Looking across that massive field and thinking about the bravery of those who fought there gave me a new idea of what tenacity means. So, the lesson is this, every gain in God comes with challenges. Often, when the enemy attacks the worst, we gain the most! If you are being attacked by the enemy, stand firm. Make him expend his energy and effort in a battle that we know he will lose.

No comments: