Monday, December 21, 2009

Primal - Recent Reading

I have been reading Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity. The author is Mark Batterson of National Community Church in Washington DC. This is his fourth book, and each one gets better.

One thing Mark is right about. We lose the heart and soul of Christianity when anything other than loving God creeps into our religious routine. Ministry, money, business, creativity, style and many other neutral factors can creep into our Christian practice and make it practice only. A set of modern, meaningless, religious rituals. Our walk with God has to be focused on relationship with God and loving him with all our heart.

In Primal, Mark dives into the four parts of the great commandment, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. Those areas relate to compassion, wonder, curiosity, and energy. I like the organization of material in this book. It is very easy to follow and know where the author is going.

I am not sure how he does it, but the book is packed with interesting information. I am reading it much slower than the other books I have have read from him. I was hoping to be finished by this time today, but I am taking my time on this one. He has really outdone the previous books.

1 comment:

Essay said...

Thank you for sharing, I like it worth reading.