Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Recoil

Yesterday a friend at church delivered some ammunition to me for teaching my boys to shoot a Winchester style 30.30 deer rifle. The bullets are loaded with a very light, slow burning powder that reduces the recoil of the gun so that it does not kick.

While he delivered this I was working on my sermon for Sunday. When Jesus was eating with some local religious leaders he was approached by a woman who had lived a sinful life. She kissed his feet in worship, and he did not recoil from her. What amazing love. The most perfect man who ever lived did not recoil from the woman with a bad rap sheet.

Lesson: Are we disgusted by people who don't live for God, or do we love them? Can we love people who disagree with our message of life through Jesus? Can we see a person's humility before God, and pain because of their sin, rather than the sin. This lady wept tears of repentance. Jesus saw her tears of repentance, not her list of wrongs. Let's be people of grace and truth.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

My children and mother were at the services this Sunday. The message was forgiveness. I am praying that my children and mother will forgive my husband so that they aren't consumed with bitterness. This sermon was directly on time, as usual, from God. I only wish I could have been there this morning also. We have been discussing how difficult forgiveness can be ever since they came home. Thank you for following God! People like my family need you!

Valerie said...

Today my mother and children attended services. The sermon on Forgiveness was right on time, as usual, like only God can deliver. I have been praying that God would help my children and mother forgive my husband for his behaviors. We have been talking about how this sermon is hitting home. Thank you for allowing God to be the ruler in your life because it helps a family like ours.