Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Each tooth has its twin!

Today I read Song of Solomon in my devotions. Some people think that this book written by Solomon is some type of hidden analogy about loving God. It can be, but I think it was written between two people deeply in love. It is a picture of what love in a marriage should be like.

A verse stood out to me in a strange way. Song of Solomon 6:6, "Your teeth are like a flock of sheep coming up from the washing. Each has its twin, not one of them is missing." At first I laughed. I had not noticed this before in the other 17 times I have read through the Bible. The writer is adoring his lovers smile. And, in ancient context he adores what must have been quite a beauty feat with the lack of modern dental care, she has all her teeth! I laughed because my mind went immediately to the picture of a hillbilly beauty who suddenly smiles to reveal that a bunch of teeth are missing.

Then I thought, OK God what are you saying with this verse. Here is the bottom line. The lover in Song of Solomon studies the one he loves and he poetically lists all the attributes that he finds beautiful. Her hair, her eyes, her neck and so on.

Here is a challenge to you. If you are married, read Song of Solomon this week and stop occasionally to think about the things that you find beautiful or handsome about your husband of wife. Not all beautiful things are physical. Like the old fifties song says, "...pretty girls come a dime a dozen, ya' gotta find one thats gonna give you true lovin'." Some of the most beautiful parts of your mate that you are in love with are character traits (1 Peter 3:4-5). My wife is faithful and devoted. It is her strongest quality as a wife, mother, and as a friend. What she chooses to do she does with unswerving devotion.

So, even if it is a small thing (like she has all her teeth) list the tings that are beautiful about your spouse and fall in love with them all over again.

No comments: