Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Slugger!

It is amazing to watch baseball players like A.P. swing the bat. For a guy like me who apparently has no bat speed, it is like magic to see them hit a ball 400 feet. I can't conceive what that feels like.

Isaiah 10:15 asks, "Does the ax raise itself above him who swings it...?" Isaiah is speaking to an ancient Assyrian King who is proud of his accomplishments and has said to himself, "By the strength of my hand I have done this..." Obviously, God is saying, no, you did not do this, I did this through you. The king is the ax, God is the one who swings the ax.

When we think that we have accomplished something on our own strength, power or smarts, we become like a baseball bat that brags about what it has done, when it is really all about the one who swings the bat, not the lumber. If you give me the best bat in the world, I still can't do what others can do with it.

Success in life is about who you are. You need to strive for personal excellence. But ultimate success in life and eternity is about whose you are! Dose your entire life belong to Christ? Two bats, both from the same factory, one is in a dusty bag at the bating cages, the other in a major league dugout. Which one will accomplish more effectiveness in hitting baseballs? It all depends on whose had does the swinging.

No comments: