Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend Rewind

Why did Pastor Paul preach sitting down?

Today I did something I have never done, I preached from a stool, seated on the platform. Some of you might wonder why.

It was not an attempt to be cool. Friday I had foot surgery and I have three large wounds on the bottoms of my feet. I can stand in one spot, but it is VERY difficult to walk. So, I made a plan for the day.

First, I had someone bring me a stool before 8:00 a.m. today. I wobbled up to the platform at 8:10 a.m. I stood still to play guitar, and then moved two steps to sit for the sermon. At the end of first service it took me 30 minutes to walk from the platform to the foyer and back. Only Chris noticed me limping because I would take about two steps and stop and talk and so on. Because of my feet I only greeted about 8 people all morning, that is very different!

Why did I function this way? Because, I had a real message for you today from the Lord. If I had mentioned my feet, people would have thought about my feet all service long. I wanted you to think about the message all day, not my feet! I must become less so that the message may become more. That is the goal of real preaching, for Jesus to be noticed. Nothing else should get in the way, not your tie, your jeans, your hair, your worship team, or even your temporary difficulty.

I was pleased! The focus today was on the message. It changed lives, two were saved and two re-dedications in the second service! Many others connected again with God out of their puffed up religious attitude. Some others connected with God out of their half hearted devotion to Jesus. When preaching in my home church, sister Osaga-Morgan always used to shout,
"A-Men. Stand up in em' Jesus!"

Today Jesus stood up, and I sat down.

No comments: