Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Perspective on Age #2

Perspective on Age #1 posted on February 7th. Scroll back if you like and read it.
Joshua 14:10-12 says, "10 “Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! 11 I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. 12 Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said.”

I am always impressed with Caleb in this passage. Think of the elements of his passion for God and personality that are worth striving for. He was sent as a spy at the age of 40. Now at 85, he is still ready to take the land.

Still Strong - I am praying that when I am 85, I will say what Caleb said. "I am still as strong today as when..." Not only was he spiritually and emotionally strong, he was physically strong and was not afraid to say it.
Vigorous - I hope that I will keep my vigor. I want to stay passionate for God and his purpose for my life. I want to be working and active for him.
Staking his Claim - For 45 years, Caleb has been waiting and preparing for the promise of God for his life. This man never gave up!
Fearless - Caleb new the report about the Anakites who were living in the portion of the land God promised him. They were big. They were heavily armed. They had strong defenses. But, the old Caleb was just as fearless as the young Caleb who brought back the good report as a spy.
Entrepreneurial - It is interesting that Caleb is ready to do the work of driving out the Anakites and start out on the risky campaign to take the land God had promised to him. Could I be that ready for a new risk and a new venture when I am in my 80's? I am praying that I will be!

No comments: