Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Core Values: Innovation

Our second core value that drives how we do what we do, is INNOVATION.  If we are full of the Holy Spirit of God, then the Church should be the most creative people on the planet.  If we are full of the Holy Spirit, empowered to be witnesses (Acts 1:8), then we must be creative in reaching the lost.  If we value the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, then we will be creative in our worship.  If we are full of the Holy Spirit, then we will be walking innovatively toward new thoughts and ideas from God in our discipleship, not just rehearsing the same truths with the same terms, but growing in understanding, beauty and definition.

I have felt this core value for a long time, but feel very poor at accomplishing it!  Being innovative and creative means that we should have the best looking materials, the most inspiring music of all kinds, and the most appealing outreach methods in our region.  How are we doing with that?  Not so good.  But this value still burns in my heart!

If you ever wonder why I am frustrated, it is not because we are failing to do something, but because we are failing to do it with the innovation and creativity with which I want to do it.  I know that I drive some of you crazy, but I really think that some of our worship should have some other styles thrown in, like techno, hip-hop, jazz, classical and folk.  Yes, I am eager to be far more creative than most people are likely to be comfortable with.  Perhaps we may create our own new genre!  I get frustrated when I don't have the resources to be as creative as my mind is dreaming.  I get frustrated with, "Good enough."  Honestly, I wish I was the pastor of a church with a research university churning out the greatest ideas on the planet!

I so long for creativity.  I want to create this value in every person in our church.  We are Spirit filled, Spirit led people.  That means that we are crazy spontaneous in a perfect and holy way that makes our spontaneity, not immature and foolish, but beautiful, amazing, alluring and inspiring to the entire world.

No comments: