Monday, January 7, 2013

Messy

Ministers are expected to have it all together.  People expect your office to be clean when they walk in and mine never is!  It is a constant frustration for me.  Part of my problem is have no storage space at all.  Recently I met with a person that is extremely valuable to me and who I have and will spend a great amount of time with because I want to help them.  Unfortunately, they tracked in a bunch of mud.  Well, its not the first time this has happened.

But, as I spent the first 30 minutes of my day today scrubbing the mud out of the carpet, I was really mad.  I was thinking of other pastors who always have nice neat offices.  How do they do that?  Do they just tell messy people they are not invited to enter the office?  Or, do they spend a ton of time cleaning their carpet?  I really started imagining myself being totally honest with a person and telling them not to come in because they are tracking mud all over.  Well, that little daydream seemed to have bad overtones and in all the rabbit trails of my mind, it always ended poorly.

So, I just scrubbed out my frustration and determined that people are more important than the image of my office.  I am typing now, and will be getting back to further cleaning in a moment.

1 comment:

PastorKaler said...

This post reminds me of a song that says something to the effect of, "Jesus would not be welcome at church because he would get blood on the carpet."
While this example is extreme, I do like the point both you and the song are making, and that is to put people first.