Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Healthy Church

"The Healthy Church" is the title of the Wednesday night series of messages I am preaching. The title is from C. Peter Wagner who wrote a book with that title.  The concept is this, our church will accomplish its mission when the people in the church are spiritually healthy followers of Christ. Here are a few excerpts.

What the Church needs most is health. Spiritual health is measured by relationship with Christ.
--When a church has a few healthy believers it will be a little attractive.
--When a church has a lot of healthy believers it will be quite attractive.
--When a church has all healthy believers it will be irresistible!!!

"The church is a living organism and all living organisms grow. Living things either grow or die." (Rick Warren)
A church of healthy believers will be a growing church.
--A church with some healthy believers will grow some.
--A church with a lot of healthy believers will grow a lot.
--A church with all healthy believers will double quickly!!!


The church had been running 55 on Sunday mornings when I came to First AG Washington in 2003.  In 2009 we had consistently 134-136 worshiping on Sunday mornings.  Our growth has been slow and consistent each year.  Today, we are a church of about 210 on Sunday's.  Three days ago the attendance was 244.  Those numbers are good (praise the Lord!) but our truly healthy Christian core could be as few as 25.  That is alarming!  You can argue that there may not be a direct correlation between numeric growth and the number of healthy believers in a church, but I think there is.  By the way, if you want to know how I define healthy, attend Wednesday nights the next several weeks.

I want to challenge every person in our church to begin thinking about their relationship with Christ.  If you are faithful, you will be fruitful.  Your fruitfulness is your faithfulness to Christ.  If there is no fruit of harvest in your life, can you really say you are a faithful at the level Jesus wants to raise you?  I know that is hard for some to swallow and most will rationalize it away.  As your pastor, your spiritual life coach, it is my job to ask you the tough questions.  Then, I offer you hope because God can do anything in you if you allow him.

Please think about this.  What must you change in your attitude and schedule to be a healthy, fruitful, follower of Jesus Christ?  I love you all and want to help you.  Please let me know what you think would assist you in your spiritual health.  Perhaps some of the fault is mine, I am the Pastor.  Give me a call some time soon and let me know what you perceive as the need or obstacle for growth in your fruitfulness.  Now is a good time to communicate with me.  I am arranging my preaching schedule for 2014 and your comments will help me pray.

No comments: