Tuesday, February 14, 2017

What I am Reading

My sister texted me and my brother.  She and her husband are planting a church in Oneonta, NY.  My brother is a campus/teaching/worship pastor at a church in Iowa.  My sister started a conversation about some things that she is reading that she wanted to share with us.  It was a really great conversation.

Usually, I feel like a real bum when someone asks what I am reading.  Most successful pastors can always tell you what they are reading.  That question usually makes my mind go blank and I cannot remember what I am even reading at the time.  I usually assume that others read so much more than me.  I am a slow reader.  Today I realized that maybe I am not such a bum.  I am actually reading a ton when you consider what I have been reading to be prepared to preach.  So, here is what I have been reading.

One, I just finished Born Again by Chuck Colson.  Lance Langenberg loaned it to me.
Two, for fun I am reading The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gains
Three, for Wednesday Bible study I am in the middle of reading three commentaries on 1 Corinthians.  Authors are Hammar, then Fee, then The Complete Biblical Library.
Four, for my small group on Friday nights I am on chapter seven of a commentary on the book of Isaiah.  It is a volume also from, The Complete Biblical Library.
Five, I am slowly reading through a book on church health from a Baptist Pastor in Washington D.C.
Lastly, I am reading through my Bible in a year as I do every year.  It is a Bile reading plan on YouVersion called Eat This Book.

After the conversation with my brother and sister, I think I have all the rest of the books that I could possibly read this year!

No comments: