Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Rest of My Week

The church business meeting I mentioned earlier went unusually well. All the business was finished in about two hours! It is usually a two day affair. Pastor John and I went out and played a 9 hole par three with his uncle Wayne who lives in Springfield. It was a beautiful day and we had about three hours to kill and another meeting Thursday morning that I was committed to help with.

This year at council I chose to wear what I normally wear on Sunday morning (Jeans). So, for the first time I did not take a suit or a tie to council. I feel called to reach those who are my age and younger. If I fail to reach this segment of society, I will be obsolete, useless and irrelevant in my older years. I am planning now to be relevant to the generation that is younger than me so that I will be effective till the day I die. For me to reach those who are younger than me I have to think like a missionary. The missionary to China had on Chinese attire. The missionary to Germany had German attire. I had on my missionary clothes.

Well, here was the great thing. In all the years of wearing the best suits and ties that I could buy I never had anyone complement me on my clothing. On Tuesday night we went to a restaurant and the young waiter complemented me on my clothing. He was obviously not saved and about ten years younger than me. As we prayed for our dinner we prayed that for our waiter, a part of my mission field in life. I don't care any more what other ministers at council think of my clothing. I care about the young man who served us dinner, who needs Jesus, and who we connected with by what we wore.

Paul

No comments: