Monday, July 9, 2007

Spiritual Deserts

Today I want to post the notes from Sunday.

"Spiritual Deserts: How do we survive and thrive in spiritual drought?"

Many great spiritual heroes went through times of wandering in dry places.
--Abraham fled famine two times, spiritual tests he failed.
--Joseph passed through the desert on his way to Egypt.
--Moses spent 40 years in the desert before leading the people out of Egypt.
--Joshua wandered in the desert for 40 years, before he led Israel.
--David spent years in the wilderness fleeing from Saul.
--Elijah went through a drought during God’s judgment.
--Jonah’s vine dried up so God could show him his hateful heart.
--John the Baptist lived in the desert and ministered in the desert.
--Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by Satan.
--Paul spent three years in the desert learning from the Lord before he started missionary work.

The greatest example of spiritual desert survival tactics is found in the story of the Israelites crossing the desert on the way to their promised land. How did God’s people survive the desert and go on to thrive in a new home?

1. Remember God’s Promises.
The desert is not your final destination.
Exodus 3:17 - And I have promised to bring you up out of your misery in Egypt into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—a land flowing with milk and honey.
2. Recognize God’s Plan.
There are lessons to learn in your desert.
Deuteronomy 4:10 - Remember the day you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, when he said to me, “Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children.”
3. Rely on God’s Power.
God will guide you through the desert.
Exodus 19:4 - ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself
4. Refuel in God’s Presence.
Find an oasis in the desert.
Exodus 15:27 - Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and they camped there near the water.
5. Realize God’s Purposes.
You have a calling, having crossed the desert.
Leviticus 26:12-13 - I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people. I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt…”

The last two posts do not have titles because I can not get the title box in blogger to respond at all. If you are a blogger user and have a suggestion let me know.

No comments: