Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Your Prayers Matter

Today I read the story of Hezekiah again. He is one of my favorite kings in the Bible. When Hezekiah got sick Isaiah the prophet gave him a message from God that he would die from the sickness. He needed to get his house in order and prepare to die. Hezekiah, however, prayed to the Lord with tears and asked for help.

What is so amazing is God's reply. God spoke to Isaiah again, before he could even get out of town from delivering the first message and said, "I have heard your prayer and seen your tears..." (2 Kings 20:5). God granted Hezekiah 15 more years of life.

When God speaks he keeps his word. I think that Isaiah heard God's word in the first message. But God is so kind. Amazingly, God sends Isaiah a second time to change his message to Hezekiah. When we pray God is moved with compassion and feeling to hear and answer us.

I don't think I will ever perfectly understand the justice and mercy of God, but I know that I can count on his kindness when I give everything that I am, everything I believe, everything I hope for, to him.

No comments: