Tuesday, January 8, 2008

God is Great

Yesterday I took a personal day to get in one last day of archery hunting before the season ends on January 15th. What a day. It was very warm for January. I jumped three in the dark morning hours on the way to my stand. I never saw them again all day till about 5:45 p.m. when it was dark again and I was walking out of the woods. My stand is right on top of their bedding area, but they leave it before light and return after dark. It is not legal to take deer in those hours of the day.

About 4:00 p.m. a thunder storm rolled in over my head. I was on a bluff top and watched the storm roll in. It became very dark. Thunder rolled and rolled. Then the tornado sirens of a nearby small town went off. I decided to stick it out. But then the sky filled with lightening and after about the fourth strike I decided that my metal ladder stand on the bluff was the wrong place to be. I watched as a down pour of rain moved across the valley in front of me. It was really beautiful. Then I walked to the truck and watched it rain for about 45 minutes. It turns out that the storm that went over my head produced a tornado just about ten miles east of me after it passed over my head. The tornado was spotted in Heartsberg, MO.

While I watched all this here is what was in my head.

Verse 1
O Lord my God, When
in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds
Thy hands have made
I see the stars
I hear the rolling thunder
Thy pow'r thru'out
The universe displayed

Verse 2
When thru the woods
And forest glades I wander
And hear the birds
Sing sweetly in the trees
When I look down
From lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook
And feel the gentle breeze

Verse 3
And when I think
That God His Son not sparing
Sent Him to die
I scarce can take it in
That on the cross
My burden gladly bearing
He bled and died
To take away my sin

Verse 4
When Christ shall come
With shout of acclamation
And take me home
What joy shall fill my heart
Then I shall bow
In humble adoration
And there proclaim
My God how great Thou art

By Stuart Wesley Keene Hine

No comments: