Thursday, February 21, 2008

God is Watching

In Job seven, Job has lost everything and is being accused by his friend Eliphaz of wrongdoing. Eliphaz is looking for the answer to the age-old question, “Why did these bad things happen to Job?” Eliphaz believes that Job is being punished by God for some sin that Job is unwilling to confess.

Job begs, that if he did sin, that God would show him what it was, and restates his innocence and good standing before God. Then Job asks this question.

Job 7:17-20 says,
17“What is man that you make so much of him,
that you give him so much attention,
18 that you examine him every morning
and test him every moment?
19 Will you never look away from me,
or let me alone even for an instant?
20 If I have sinned, what have I done to you,
O watcher of men?

Job is in anguish but his question points out a truth that is comforting as well as fearful.

God is watching you all the time.

This truth is fearful because God is keeping us accountable. One of my favorite scriptures is Leviticus 19:14 which says, “Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the LORD.” Why not curse the deaf? They won’t hear. Why not trip the blind, you won’t be pointed out in a police line by the victim. Why not trip? Why not curse? Because, God is watching and listening when no one else can.

The truth is comforting because God is watching you, the individual all the time. Why does God make so much of me? Of you? Why does God give you so much attention? Why does he examine you every morning? Why does he test you, or me, every moment? He is always looking at us. He never leaves any person alone for a moment!

Yes, you are being watched, but not like a camera at an intersection waiting for you to mess up and give you a ticket! He is also watching to bless, protect, love, and forgive. You are immensely loved by God. You are eternally interesting to him. He never gets tired of watching you. You may be closer to perfection, or you may be filled with error, he still watches you all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Pastor. That is a good reminder of God's Love. God has been reminding me that He is watching me through the scriptures and through other people for about two weeks now...I just can't seem to grasp how much I am Loved by Him and probably never will. God watches us the way some parents do with their first child. Even when the child is asleep, they just stand and stare...checking the heart and air ways, making sure everything is okay.

Anonymous said...

This helped me so much today. I thank you for everything you have done, both at church and here on the web. You are truly a blessing to know.