Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Pastor's Encouragement

Yesterday I hung out with a group of pastor friends. We drank coffee, had some fruit and donuts and watched a great video on the greatness of God. Then we went to lunch. After lunch I was talking to Charles Partney who pastors a church in Heculanium, just south of St. Louis off of I-55. I was asking him for some advice and feed back on an issue of church administration and he said, "Your first ministry is your family." That was a great word. Ministry can change in the life of a pastor. Church members may change, location may change, ministry position may change, but your family is your family for life.

I want to encourage every person in our church to remember one of our core values. "We believe that every believer can balance his or her commitments to God, (Deuteronomy 6:5; Joshua 23:11; Matthew 22:37) family (1 Timothy 5:4; 5:8; Psalm 37:25) and community (Proverbs 31:23 &31; Proverbs 10:10-11)."

There is a way for every Christian in Washington to be helping in a ministry in their church, fruitful in a meaningful job to earn a living, faithful to their family duties, and involved in civic opportunities. To prove and exemplify this I am involved in The Optimist Club, hold a second job teaching philosophy at Missouri Baptist University, and keep up with my family and my ministry work. There are some tings that I have to choose not to do, but there are other things that I am fully committed to do. Nobody can do everything, but we all need to do certain things that really matter.

No comments: