Monday, September 22, 2008

Friday at School

Friday morning went great. I worked as hard as I could for about four hours and did not complete everything I was given, and really wanted to finish for the teachers. The folks at my kids school are very nice. I am glad to see my boys learning quickly these days.

One of the most interesting things was the reaction of the children to my voice. They have a month of school under their belts, but I assume that I may have been the first adult male in the classroom this year. I was pretty quiet at first, and then a boy said hi to me, I said, "hello." Then the whole room came to a halt! Everyone was staring at me. Later a child spoke to me again and I responded, as soon as I spoke all the conversation in the room immediately stopped. Then I started talking to several of the kids, they realized that I was friendly, and things went on as usual. I have no frame of reference for these things, but I wonder if ladies who are new to the class have the same experience simply because they are a new adult introduced into the situation, or if it was the unusual presence of a male voice in the room.

I can't wait to help out this week.

No comments: