Friday, January 2, 2009

Thankful Thoughts

This year I need to get serious about writing more in a journal. I always thought it was stupid to journal because the 12 disciples did not keep a journal in their discipleship with Jesus. But, later they did write down their experiences and thank the Lord for his inspiration for the writing of the Gospels.

So this year I am going to work on keeping a journal. I am pretty sure I am going to be really bad at this. One part that I need to work on is being thankful and writing down the things that I am thankful for will be good for me. So, here is the first one that came up in my prayer time over the noon hour today.

God thank you for dirt. I like how it can be mud, dust, clay, soil, or dry and hard. I love the way it provides minerals to plants so that my vegetables are good for me. I like that I can make pots out of it. Thank you for providing dirt to entertain my kids these past six years. The dirt in the yard has been their favorite toy by far. Finally, thank you Lord for forming us out of the dust of the earth, knowing that your body is made of dirt and will decompose back to dirt until the resurrection keeps us humble.

I know it sounds funny, but while I walked and prayed today I thanked the Lord for dirt.

No comments: