Thursday, March 26, 2009

Great Study Time

There are times when sermon preparation is work. Other time it is is exciting for various reasons. Today as I finished the work on the message for Sunday I was simply overwhelmed with the subject. As I sat at my computer and tried to type and thoughts came to my mind, I was so overwhelmed that I began to cry, then sob. God's grace toward us is so amazing. His love for us even though we reject him in so many ways is incredible!

A lady from our church walked in, looked in in my office and said, "Are you OK?" I could barely respond with words. A few minutes later my wife stopped by to take me to the store and saw my eyes, she asked the same thing, "Are you OK? What are you doing?" I finally got my composure back and went into the store to help my wife briefly before my lunch appointment.

If you have been thinking of inviting a friend to church Sunday would be a good day for them to attend. The Sermon title is, "Why was the Crucifixion So Grotesque?" Why did Jesus have to die such a horrible death? Was there not a better, less drastic, cleaner way to get and grant me forgiveness? To put it another way, what is with Christians fixation on a gross, suffering, bleeding Jesus? Why did God use such grotesque means? What is the big deal?

For you out in blog land. I have a manuscript of the sermon and will post it Monday. I will also post the audio on Monday on the church website www.firstagwashington.org where the sermons can be listened to on the homepage.

No comments: