Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Worship Together Training

Yesterday we attended the worshiptogether.com worship training seminars. Tony and several of our team members went along. This was outstanding! It was a fairly small group considering the people that were presenting. The smaller, more intimate setting was helpful.

The first session that we attended was taught by Tim Hughes. Tim is the author of Here I am To Worship. You really should check out his website and learn a bit about him.

The second session that I attended was taught by Al Gordon on being an authentic leader. Al is also from Holy Trinity church in London where Tim Hughes is also a worship leader. Al's session was absolutely packed with information and super inspiring.

Here is the #1 thought for the day that I needed to hear. It was in the Al Gordon session. He quoted Dee Hock, the founder of the VISA Corporation as saying something like this:
The great leaders of the world from all times and cultures have one thing in common. They spent 50% of their time (life) improving themselves.

When I look at my life I see that I spend most of my time serving people because that is the picture of a good Pastor that is painted for me by so many sources and authorities. But, I often feel like I am out of energy, and mental stuff for serving. What is the problem? I am too focused on serving others to the point that I have noting to serve.

Here is an illustration. Imagine I run a restaurant alone. If I spend all my time cooking, no one will be served. If I spend all my time serving, the food will be junk. Maybe I am doing too much waiting and not enough cooking.

My prayer: Lord, help me balance my life so that I make time and energy for my wife, my kids and myself, so that I can have a life that is capable of giving to others with excellence.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

That is a great point. In order to give, you have to have something to give. It is tough to build self improvement into a busy schedule. It must be done though. I think leaders need to develop their delegation skills better in order to create that time.