Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Best of Days, The Worst of Days

Today was a strange mix of really good things and really bad things.

Worst of Days:
Today I arrived at church a little before 7:00 a.m. and there was a very slight dusting of dry snow. By 8:30 is was coming down thick and wet. It became very slick. It kept a lot of people home.

This morning was also the climax of several days of sickness. I felt horrible. I can't believe I made it through second service. My head hurt so bad that I went and sat in my darkened office for about fifteen minutes between the two services. As an associate minister in Jefferson City I got very sick very unexpectedly and had to run off the platform one service and explain it to the pastor later. During worship I had fears of a repeat of that scenario.

Finally, a whole lot of our people were out due to travel plans. One Christmas everyone comes to visit Washington, the nest the entire town vacates to visit other places. You never know what exactly to expect. It always feels awkward when regular faces are missing.

The Best of Days:
Considering how I felt, the messages went really well. I kept to my time limit! I stunned the kids church workers.

We had several visitors today and I love getting to know new people. I always hope that they will choose to come again, but even if they do not, I love new relationships with people.

We also had several old friends back in town. It was great to see Samuel Essary and Lynette DuPray.

Finally, we had a great start to 40 Days of Purpose. I love the buy-in that I am seeing in the congregation. I really think a lot of people are going to grow in this 40 Days. I am very excited for many new Christians. I am also excited because many of our more long-time believers are going to gain a new glimpse of God. I am really serious about this, and excited. The first few times through 40 Days and the Purpose Driven Life we gained rote understanding of doctrinal things. This time I think we will really get it in our hearts and see more life change in mature believers.

"It was the best of days, it was the worst of days."
Charles Dickens

No comments: