Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pleasant

II Samuel 23:3-4
3 The God of Israel spoke,
the Rock of Israel said to me:
'When one rules over men in righteousness,
when he rules in the fear of God,
4 he is like the light of morning at sunrise
on a cloudless morning,
like the brightness after rain
that brings the grass from the earth.'
Good leadership is pleasant to serve under. As a Pastor I must also follow my leaders. The truth of the last words of David are more apparent every year I grow older. Sometimes I learn it by seeing the frustration of those I serve, and other times I feel it in the leadership that I am under authority to.
No matter what your political or denominational affiliation, no matter what area of work you are in, good leaders are pleasant to serve. Here are a few hints from David.
1. Lead with righteousness. That is justice, fairness, hard work at the top, appropriate mercy and grace.
2. Lead with humility and fear of God. That is willingness to take criticism, advice, and admit mistakes.
Your leadership could perhaps be measured with a pleasant factor.
Do those we lead feel the excitement and peace of a dazzling sunrise when they think about us? Do they feel refreshed like the earth after rain when we serve them? Do we see signs of personal growth and excitement for the future in those we lead?
In high school choir we sang a piece that quoted these last words of David. When I think about leadership the tune comes into my head and the words tumble around.
"When one rules over men in righteousness,
when he rules in the fear of God,
he is like the light of morning at sunrise
on a cloudless morning."

No comments: