Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love Thanksgiving. I love that it may be snowing, or it may be warm enough for football in the yard. I love that it is a holiday that falls in hunting season! Mostly, I love how it prepares us for Christmas.

Imagine if the two holidays were switched. What if we went through all the negative materialistic elements of modern Christmas celebrations and then did Thanksgiving? I think Thanksgiving would be completely spoiled! I think there is a real blessing that Thanksgiving is before Christmas.
I think it is great that about four weeks before Christmas and at least one day before the Christmas shopping insanity of our culture begins, we stop to give thanks. Thanking God, not for all the gifts and parties and food, but for the things that God has given us throughout the year.

Let's be careful not to let Christmas overpower Thanksgiving. The big box stores are all in Christmas mode and have forgotten Thanksgiving. They go straight from the ghouls, ghosts, and goblins of Halloween, to Santa and Elves. They can do without Christ in Christmas and they do without Thanksgiving completely. Don't miss Thanksgiving and don't forget to give God and special people in your life thanks. I want to be different, so I say with excitement and hope, "Happy Thanksgiving!"

No comments: