Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Who's On First

Sunday the message was about stress and worry, mostly about stress. I believe that the antidote to stress can be summed up with one prescription. Seek FIRST his kingdom and his righteousness (Matt. 6:33 emphasis mine).

When you are stressed out on the interstate in gridlock traffic, are you seeking him, or allowing yourself to be stressed? When you think about your house and your bills, are you seeking him and thanking him for provision, or are you worried about what you don't have?

When I strive, covet, and worry about the stuff of my life, it takes over my thinking, meditation and prayer time. When those things use up my prayer time, I am wasting time that could be spent seeking God through Jesus Christ! When those things take up my day, I am wasting time that could be spent working for God and my own progress, witnessing to a friend, or simply enjoying God's presence in my daily routine.

If you are stressed, my question to you is, "What are you seeking most in life?" Test yourself on this! Don't just give yourself a Sunday morning answer and a pat on the back! Look over your schedule. Did you spend more time on Facebook or shopping this week than you did seeking the Lord? Are you using up your entire day with work, entertainment and social stuff and running out of time for God?

Maybe we are so stressed today because we are running after the wrong things first.

No comments: