Friday, April 27, 2012

The Dilema

Still studying small group ministry this week.  Here is the dilemma, how can a small group reach out to others and still be a tight, cohesive group that fosters strong relationships?  I don't have the answer for this one yet.
The group that Stephanie and I attend was four people and four kids on January 1.  Mark Knickmeyer is our group leader and I think he is excellent.  Now the group is more than I can count in my head, but somewhere around 22 adults and many more kids.  The group has some real growing pains.  We want meaningful relationships AND deep Bible study, but it has been tough.  I know that other groups wrestle with the same dilemma, to grow deep or grow out, that is the question.  Some groups are frustrated because they don't have outward growth.

I don't have any answers today.  I have ideas, but I am not ready to publish or promote ideas.  Our church will publish solutions later, Pastor John and I are working on it.  I will say this, if your group is static in its membership, but growing in its relationships to God and others, then you may be accomplishing the goal already.  Don't be discouraged by "small."  Be disturbed with "shallow."

No comments: