Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day Fun

I know it's not till tomorrow, but all the school parties were today. Since I help out on Friday's at Washington West I got to get in on the V. Day fun. Teaching would be a real tough job, but in many ways it would be a real great job. I love the idea of a nine month work schedule. Holidays off with my kids! Great retirement options compared to us self-employed folks. But, the best part is watching kids develop.

This morning I gave a reading quiz to each child individually. Then I helped the children place their V. Day cards in their friends decorated boxes. At the start of Kindergarten some of them did not know all their letters and did not know the sounds. Now, they can sound out words, have lots of sight words memorized, and can read their friends names. It is amazing how much their minds are soaking up.

What really got me is that most of the kids know my name and are no longer nervous about a man in the class room. Several of them gave me little gifts of candy so my pockets were stuffed when I left. I know that Friday is my day off and I need some time for myself and to rest. But, I am so glad to have the chance to get into the schools and really help, befriend teachers and staff, meet kids, and learn.

No comments: